Monday, October 13, 2014

things that I think about often

  1. this one time, two months ago, me and this friend (very unsure if we would stay at that level when we left) literally drove across America, from MA to CA. how in less than a week, we shared stories and experiences and tears and so many unspeakable "you had to be there" moments, and somehow this trip which supposedly was destined to tear us apart permanently seemed to do the opposite, and stick us together in a way I never expected (and also never expected to need so much). (luv u v much mom) (sorry i literally never say your name)
  2. camp. how different the weather was, and how I want to take back every complaint of rain or thunder or clouds. how different the people were. I think about camp videos, social media, how I could help or contribute, to tell more people about camp. (shout out to Sparkles, who I also think about daily)
  3. homelessness. this is a weird one, but in LA there are so many homeless people, to the point where I have come to recognize certain ones at their usual bus stop benches. how painful and horrifying it is to have to treat them like they don't exist just so you can get off of the train sometimes. how I never even have dollars to spare, or time to even talk to them. how there is this assumption in our culture that tells me it's not safe to talk to them (and sadly this is probably true most of the time). in general it just hurts to see so many of them. more than just thinking "oh, a homeless person", I think, "how did they end up here? where did they grow up, do they have family, what is your name, how long has it been since you lived somewhere?"
  4. I know so little about film, even though I also know a fair bit. 
  5. there are not many kids here. it's a weird thing, but working all summer with kids, and now I cam count on two hands the children I've seen (my RD has 3, and there are 5 that usually ride the same bus as me)
  6. driving in LA is not that bad. pay attention and don't rush and pay attention. and you'll be fine. 
  7. taking public transportation is sometimes really neat and fun. but other times it's gross and exhausting and takes f-o-r-eeeeeeee-v-e-rrrrrrrr. and it makes me miss and deeply appreciate my car.
  8. God does not give me what I want. He gives me what I need. Because he knows what I need, and I don't always.
  9. I have a list of souvenirs I am planning on buying myself before I leave (a Starbucks Los Angeles mug, an In N Out teeshirt, and a California shirt from this little shop at Venice Beach) I've put too much thought into this. 
  10. I think it's hilarious that my commute to my internship is so cool (to everyone else, for me it's become pretty average and sometimes really obnoxious). I walk over the hollywood stars, have seen a handful of very famous people at their movie premiers, and seen a few zombies. I'm familiar with street names, with how to get where (because, PLOT TWIST! LA is a GRID, and not Boston where it's a free for all. Revolutionary)
  11. forever singing endless praises to my parents and my grandparents and pretty much anyone who has ever sent a good prayer my way since I've been out here. If you get anything from reading this rambling post, know that this semester is changing me, and through every single piece so far I have so clearly been able to see God at work. It's so incredible to me that every fear and worry has been cast aside, and replaced with His good works, in His perfect timing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment